History of Buchanan
The land from which the City of Buchanan arose was originally occupied by Native Americans, specifically the Creek Indian tribe. The Sandtown Trail, a major route for Creek tribes between the Chattahoochee River near Atlanta and the community of Sandtown in neighboring Alabama, crossed the area just south of what is now Buchanan.
As white settlers moved in and the Creek tribes moved west, Haralson County was created from parts of Carroll and Polk counties in 1856. Forty acres in the town of Pierceville were chosen as the location of Haralson County’s courthouse. The next year, December 22, 1857, Pierceville was incorporated as Buchanan (pronounced Buck-anon), named for U.S. president James Buchanan, since another town was already using the name Pierceville.
At this time, new roads were built to Carrollton, Villa Rica, and Cedartown. In the late 1880s, Buchanan experienced the laying of its first railroad tracks through town after several companies in the preceding years planned to do so but failed to follow through. The Chattanooga, Rome and Columbus Railroad connected the town with Bremen, Felton, and points beyond.